Close this search box.

Civil Unit – Frequently Asked Questions

Tell me about the Ventura County Sheriff’s Civil Unit.
The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, Court Services Division, has two Civil Unit Offices to serve you. We are a full-service operation, from a complete business levy to the service of a small claims action and everything in between. Our staff looks forward to serving your needs.

Our West County Office is in Room 101 of the Hall of Justice at the Government Center. The office is open Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 4 PM, and can be reached by phone, 8 AM – 12 PM and 2 PM – 4 PM, at (805) 654-2391. ALL CORRESPONDENCE SHOULD BE MAILED TO THIS OFFICE.

Our East County office is located in the Simi Valley Courts building. The office is open Monday and Tuesday, 8 AM – 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM – 4 PM, and, during those hours, can be reached by phone at (805) 582-8015. The office is closed Wednesday – Friday.

**Notice regarding legal proceedings**
Section 24004 of the Government Code prohibits the Sheriff or Marshal and their staff to practice law or assist in the preparation of legal document.

Can I collect my judgment with all the fees associated with the judgment?
Yes, you can collect associated costs (court fees & sheriff fees). You cannot collect for time off from work to pursue the collection.

How long is my judgment good for?
Your Judgment is good for ten (10) years with an extension for ten (10) more years, if renewed.

Does a Writ issued to enforce a judgment require that the county that is to do the enforcement be named?
Yes, the writ must be addressed to the county that is to enforce the judgment.

Can I drop my civil papers off at any Sheriff’s office for service?
You can drop your civil papers at either of the two Civil Unit offices in the Ventura Courthouse or the Simi Valley Courthouse. You cannot leave civil papers at Patrol offices for service.

Who sets the fees for service cost?
The fees are set by the California State Assembly and subject to change every Jan. 1st.

Can the Sheriff’s Civil Unit guarantee the paper will be served?
No, we can not make a guarantee that every civil paper received will be served. There are reasons why we can’t serve every paper. The person(s) may move, or there is not enough time for service, or for a host of other reasons.

How many attempts does the Civil Unit make, before they return my civil papers Not Found or No Service?
Generally, we make at least 3 attempts ( morning , afternoon and evening ) on different days.

What is a restraining order?
It is a court order that helps protect people from abuse or harassment.

What are the different types of restraining orders?
There are four different types of restraining orders available to the public.

  • Family restraining orders cover persons seeking TRO’s against family members or those involved in marriage, dating or shared parentage relationships.  For more information, click here.
  • Civil restraining orders deal with civil matters, neighbor disputes, and general harassment issues.  For more information, click here.
  • Elder abuse/Dependent adult restraining orders are for those who are either over 65, or classified as a dependent adult.  As a result of their age or status, they are being physically, financially or emotionally abused.  For more information, click here.
  • Workplace violence restraining orders cover harassment and violence at the workplace.  For more information, click here.

How much does a restraining order cost?
Typically, court filing fees for restraining orders are $355.00.  However, in instances where violence or stalking has occurred, the fees are waived.  Also, if you cannot afford to pay the fees, they can be waived by the court. 

The fee for the Sheriff’s Civil Unit to serve your order is $40.00.  Again, these fees are waived if violence, stalking or an inability to pay exists.

Where can I get the forms?
You can get the forms at two different locations throughout Ventura County:

Ventura Superior Court
800 S Victoria Ave
Juvenile Justice Courthouse
4353 Vineyard Ave
Oxnard (El Rio)