Close this search box.


How long will it take for the Sheriff to serve my process?

The Sheriff cannot guarantee when or if service will be made, however, most types of process must be served within certain legal limits.  If personal service is legally required, the Sheriff will make various attempts to serve your process. A high volume of process and/or a shortage of personnel may hamper our efforts to expeditiously serve your process.  Consequently, we ask that you give us your process as soon as possible.  We understand that every case is a personal priority for the concerned litigants and try to manage our office efficiently to provide the best service possible using available resources.


Who can I talk to about my civil process?

Although the Sheriff cannot give legal advice, we can inform you of our procedures and policies concerning the service and execution of civil process.  You may also  contact an attorney or the Courts Self Help center.


Can I send my process to the Sheriff by e-mail, internet, or fax?

Some requests that have a granted fee waiver can be sent to our office electronically.  Please contact our office for details.


How is Civil Process served?

Much of the law concerning the service and execution of civil process is covered in the Code of Civil Procedure (CCP). Process brought to the Sheriff for service must be valid on its face, issued by a competent authority and accompanied by adequate legal instructions. The instructions must indicate the process to be served, the person or entity to be served, the location for service and be signed by the attorney of the party or by the party, if he has no attorney. Instruction forms for specific types of levies and service requests are available on the Civil Process page. Also, there are usually time restrictions regarding the service and enforcement of various types of civil process. The fees for service of process are set in accordance with the California Government Code, 26720 et. seq. Many types of civil process can be served by anyone over the age of 18 who is not a party to the action or by a registered process server. Registered Process Servers may be found online by searching under process server, registered process server or attorney service.




How can I get a restraining order?

Restraining Orders must be requested from the court.

For a domestic violence restraining order, visit their website:  The Superior Court of California – County of Ventura – Domestic Violence Restraining Order Information  for details.

For Civil Harassment, Workplace Violence, and Elder and Dependent Adult Abuse Restraining orders, visit their self-help center website:  The Superior Court of California – County of Ventura – Self-Help Center


Can the Sheriff serve a restraining order?

Restraining Orders service can be attempted if the restrained party can be found in Ventura County.  A completed Instruction form found on our FORMS page and a complete set of the restraining order must be sent or brought in to the Sheriff’s Civil office.  There may not be a fee for service if:

  • If you have a fee waiver in your case (fee waiver granted by a judge on form FW-003 or FW-005).
  • If you are serving a domestic violence, elder abuse, or gun violence restraining order.
  • If you have a civil harassment, workplace violence, or school violence restraining order based on a credible threat of violence or stalking.